Sunday, April 26, 2009

So Unlike Me

I booked Doggo in for show today, thinking that the Duathlon wouldn’t take as much out of me as it has but I’d also planned to have a bit of a lie-in and turn up mid morning because it wasn’t a particularly serious event. I was just using it as practice for a run of more important ones coming up in the next few weeks. However earlier in the week I got a pleading text, asking if I’d manage a competition ring for them and I couldn’t really say no.

The show goes ok. I manage to stay awake and my ring runs smoothly. Competition wise, we get a third and a seventh but there are two runs where we mess it up. I put that down to not really being able to concentrate fully on my own events because I had a ring to run.

I’m home for 4pm and I crash out on the bed for a kip. So unlike me.

Not for long though. Later we watch the London Marathon highlights and I’m mightily impressed by Mara Yamauchi, who’s from Oxford and very British despite the name, which she married in to. She runs an excellent race and finishes second behind the defending champion, Germany’s Irina Mikitenko. In the process she knocked two minutes off her PB. Impressive indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment