Wednesday, February 04, 2009

You Couldn't Make It Up

The forecast is promising so it's finally back on the bike today. Although I choose to walk through our estate first before getting on at the main road. The main roads aren't as good as I expected and it seems that the rumours of the councils running out of grit may be right after all. Bet they wished they hadn't chucked it all on the roads in November when it was a not so chilly 5 degrees or so, claiming they had a surplus of the stuff.

The roads aren't icy but the gutters are, where us cyclists are supposed to be and the cycle paths haven't been cleared of course. So I have to ride well away from the curb which annoys at lot of drivers, which is an added benefit.

I arrive at work safely with all body parts still attached. L though has a slight tumble on the icy pavement and claims to have a few bruises on her thighs and hips. I shall have to kiss them better later.

L warns me that she has a hard day ahead of her and that she may not be AF tonight. That's fine, I have a hard evening ahead of me. I reckon I'll need a stiff drink after tonight's FA Cup replay, whatever the outcome.

After I've cycled home and amused the dogs in the garden for a while, I head off to the City Ground for the match. This is almost a 'home' game for me, as Forest's ground is a lot closer to me than Pride Park is.

I wonder if the Derby fans will exact any revenge for the two disembodied sheep's heads that were thrown into pubs in Derby. Wouldn't be quite the same to throw a disembodied tree through a pub window.

Well it was a cracking match and if you're going to beat your bitterest local rivals in the fourth round of the FA Cup, what better way to do it. Give them a two goal lead on their own ground and then beat them 3-2 with one of their former players scoring the winner. The words classic cup tie swing to mind. You couldn't make it up. The best bit though is to come out of the ground afterwards, see all the long faces and hear all the Forest fans moaning, whilst trying not to look so damn happy.

Home to Old Peculiar, those hips and thighs, and the news that ITV have produced another classic FA Cup moment. TV viewers missed Everton's late extra time winner against Liverpool as ITV's coverage went in to a pre-programmed advert break. You couldn't make it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment