Friday, February 06, 2009

We Forget To Light The Candles

It's an exceedingly warm 1.5 degrees this morning and the roads look wet, not icy, so I cycle. The roads are also really quiet, so half the country must still be skiving. Oddly Daughters school is one of the few still closed. Surely it can’t be because of the weather... they must have heating failure or something. Thank God though; the libraries are back open.

I was sad to hear the news recently that a rock-anti-icon of mine, the lead singer of The Cramps has died, although I can't believe Lux Interior (not his real name!) was actually 62. He was hard to put an age to because after years of alcohol and drug abuse he'd looked 62 for the last 40 years. In fact, it was rumoured he died twenty years ago but nope, he kept going. He may have been a hellraiser but he stuck with his wife and fellow band stalwart Poison Ivy (yep, not her real name either) for thirty-seven years. Bless. Which is nearly as long as L and me, if my sums are right...

So tonight I shall lift a glass of something to Lux, whose band's sordid punk-rock lyrics taught me a lot in my teenage years. Some of it was even accurate, some of it even useful. I shall fondly remember their notorious live shows, of which I saw several.



L and I debate what to do this evening. L threatens to be sprawled on our bed when I get home, which means Daughter must be out. In fact, we first have to walk Daughter to the bus stop, then we have the night to ourselves.

We stay in, L's feeling poverty stricken anyway and reckons she would need to barter Daughter's Cobra Starship ticket, that she has taken in part payment for a Maximo Park ticket, at the bar. She'll be getting it refunded, because they've rearranged their gig again, rather than using it. Somehow can’t see her even getting a bag of scratchings for a Cobra Starship ticket but you never know. They're not terribly well known.

We need to run, but is a muddy run with the dogs a good idea? The steamy bath afterwards would be fun but then the dogs would need one too. So instead, we crack open the mulled wine, the red wine and the candles. Although, damn, we forget to light the candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment