Monday, February 02, 2009

The Poor Mite

We've had snow overnight so we cancel our planned run because of the dangers of being attached to couple of collies in the slippery conditions. It still doesn’t appear to be snowing in Glencoe though, where we head to in a few weeks.

Instead, L takes them out for a walk as normal but whilst I'm in the shower, I hear the front door open again, harsh words said to one of the dogs and then the front door slammed shut again. I come out of the shower and see MD sitting by the front door, looking crestfallen and contrite, waiting for his Mum to return for him. Within seconds, I have a distressed little collie sobbing on my shoulder. I take pity on the poor mite and take him for a walk in the snow. He had to practice heelwork though, so it was a punishment of sorts, for whatever he'd done.

The scattering of snow has, of course, caused madness on the roads. Apparently London is practically closed and they're forcing people to walk miles because they've withdrawn the bus service. Although looking at the webcams they don't seem to have had such more than us.



I drive in and arrive half an hour late, for no apparent reason, because the main roads were fine. I almost wish I'd cycled but I can’t see me being allowed out on my bike for a few days.

Admittedly the side roads are a bit interesting. As I was getting a newspaper, someone crashed their car in to the curb outside the newsagent. Then as I pulled into our road at work, a chap crossing the road fell over in front on me and I had to slither to an emergency stop. Some people were slithering along on bikes. What they all need is a cyclocross bike, like the one I looked at the other day; those knobbly tyres would be really useful.

Pride Park is already gridlocked by 4pm because everyone seems to have left early to beat the traffic but this just has just brought rush hour forward an hour. By the time, I leave at 5pm it's all dissipated and the roads are quieter than usual.

Dog training is cancelled, so instead we take the dogs around the pond in the snow, walking. Running would be interesting... so we don't. We fix MD up with a light and then release him. We watch him have great fun bombing around in the snow. A moonlit night makes it really pretty up there.

L's experimenting on me again tonight. She asks whether I've ever had a Bobotie? Is this a trap? Apparently, it's South African but it's not a disease, a new band or a sexual position, it's a dish and very nice it is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment