Thursday, October 01, 2009

Anyone For Homemade Curry?

I have a sore knee this morning. I think my kneecap has separated from the rest of my knee. L says it's the cycling... as if, cycling's good for you. It must have been the swimming or perhaps last night’s dog training, all that running on sand or because L’s been roughing me up again but no, not the cycling.

My last remaining yoghurt in our fridge at work has become a bit of a celebrity. This is because it’s ‘Use By Date’ is 21 Sept and it’s now 1 Oct. I don’t usually even look at these dates. I wouldn’t have noticed if somebody hadn’t pointed it out and started making mock vomiting noises over the kitchen waste bin.

My policy with food has always been if it smells ok you eat it, if it doesn’t you curry it. Simple. I never throw anything out.

I’m not alone; apparently one in three of us ignore these dates. The other two thirds seem to see it as an unnecessary flirtation with death and presumably also always wait for the green man before crossing the road.

They also have more faith in manufacturers and supermarkets than I do. These dates have more to do with preventing complaints rather than our safety and must have a big margin built in. This margin too will vary for the same product from manufacturer to manufacturer. So who do we believe? Personally none of them. ‘Cheers’ says he, shovelling a mouthful of yoghurt into his mouth.



Of course yoghurt is purposely full of bacteria before it even gets on the shelf, being as it is preserved milk, preserved using one of the oldest and safest methods there is. Any mould on it would be just like that on Stilton or Gorgonzola. Tasty. I’ve tried explaining this to Daughter when I make a curry with mouldy natural yoghurt but she just walks out of the room on me and goes on hunger strike. Some people eh?

Postscript: The vomiting ceased eventually and I'm fine now.

Only kidding of course. Anyone for homemade curry tonight?

It's too dark for Thursday night dog training but not too dark for a park session, we even manage to get on and off before the overzealous wardens lock up.

Major disaster at home, we seem to have a Wi-Fi problem and Son can’t connect from upstairs. All seems fine at the router end, so after much resetting, prodding and head scratching, I open a beer instead. New router? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment