Monday, October 05, 2009

No Repeating Characters

We leave Saltburn at 8.30am, so that we can get Daughter back for a lesson at 1pm, whilst L also wants to go into work. I intend to stay at home, put some incredibly uncool mudguards on my bike (needs must) and perhaps give the Wi-Fi another kick, not that I expect it to cooperate. First though, as I'm in a charitable mood, I muck in and assist Daughter with her paper round.

We’ve had a milkman for quite a few years. We like to support the service, it’s not cheap but at least we never run out of milk. Well unless Son OD's on the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. Anyhow, Dairy Crest have recently gone online, so now we get electronic bills and can make any changes to our order over the internet.



All good but they’ve frustrated me by adding another complication to the task of selecting a password, which seems to get more difficult every time I have to pick a new one.

When I first started doing things online, I had a series of passwords that I used, most were six characters long and just words. So not totally secure. Websites then started asking for a number to be included, so I added one. Then it was eight characters minimum, so I added another character. Then it was that it must include a capital, so I made it start with a capital. All the time leaving old websites with old passwords that I had to remember the variations for. Now Dairy Crest have landed a new one on me, no repeating characters, which sheerly by chance my chosen password had. Getting rid of this renders the password meaningless to me, it is already meaningless to anyone else. Is there any wonder people write their passwords down? Somebody somewhere needs to come up with a standard for everyone to follow. What next? no vowels? no prime numbers? who knows.

Doggo insists on coming to training this evening. I had considered just taking MD because I know Doggo’s had enough of doing agility this week and needs a break. All the same he insisted, he seems to like the social side. MD on the other hand is more than raring to go. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment