Friday, May 15, 2009

It’s Summer Now, Right?

I take the bus, it’s raining and I’ve been told by my ‘mechanic’ to not ride my bike in the wet because it’s slowly destroying everything. The alternative is to fit some proper mudguards and I haven’t gotten around to doing that yet. It doesn’t help that the ‘proper’ ones to fit my road bike are rather expensive and compared to all the glitzy stuff I could get for my bike, they just don’t seem so important and it’s summer now, right? So I shouldn’t need them anyway...

So I sit on bus feeling guilty about not training. I could have run I suppose.

The papers reckon pig flu has not become a threat over here because our noses are too cold for the virus to thrive. No chance of my thermostatically challenged L getting it then.

Daughter’s cramming in as much maths as possible, even to the extent of coming home to do her afternoon paper round and then going back to school for extra maths ‘like a nerd’, her words not mine. We never realised we had a maths-aholic in the house. Who knows, next she’ll be changing her A level choices so that she can continue with her maths... or perhaps not. I’m sure she’s just swotting hard because she’s determined to give it up this year.

I get home to find that my Cyclescheme bike voucher has arrived in the post. Hurrah. Perhaps I’ll be able to get my new toy tomorrow. We head off to celebrate down the local.

2 comments:

  1. I've got one of these - and whilst it is flimsy it has saved me a whole load of spray all over my bag/back/arse...

    http://www.bicycle-mountain-bike-cycle.co.uk/index.php/product/mudguards/pushmudguards/MGP270.html?d2leisure=13f5unafpbiekavm96d3vudhm7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that but I've currently got something similar myself. Although it keeps a lot of the spray off me, apparently it redirects it all onto my chain, rear cassette and gears. Where over time it corrodes the whole lot, particularly when you add road salt into the mix. I've been advised to get a full rear mudguard, it's just that not many will fit my bike.

    ReplyDelete