Tuesday, November 24, 2009

This Wasn't Such A Good Idea

It all started off a bit damp and miserable this morning but turned out quite nice eventually. It’s an uneventful ride into work apart from the one incident when I had to swerve around one of those family urban assault vehicles that was indicating right but everything about its manner indicated that it was about to turn left. Which is duly did. Good job I have a sixth sense for these sorts of things.

After work I’m at the pool where there are two women occupying the very centre of the pool, swimming side by side in perfect synchronisation. They are also swimming so slowly, that by the laws of trying to float something in water (not sure if Archimedes studied swimmers) they should have sunk. They’re the type who can do very slow breaststroke for hours on end without getting a single strand of hair on their head wet. Each to their own of course but it makes you want to swim aggressively past them, hoping to splash some water over them.

At 6.30 they put the lanes in as the session becomes a laned one. The women don’t seem to notice and the ropes are laid down either side of them, effectively corralling them in. They don’t for one second deviate from their mission. Whilst everyone else stays out of their way and their lane.

I don’t rendezvous with L, as she running late at work, but I do see her heading in as I leave. Afterwards she tells me the women were still there, exactly where they were when I left.

As I cycle home, to avoid having to cross the ring road using one of the pedestrian crossings there, the ones that never change, I decide to go straight on at Crown Island and go home though the side streets. I don’t take into account what is now quite a strong side wind. As I feel myself casually drifting sideways across three lanes, I think to myself, this wasn't such a good idea was it.

For some reason, when I get home my neck and shoulder seems to be stiff. So stiff it’s actually quite hard to turn my neck. It could be the cycling but more probably the swimming. It’s a dangerous sport swimming. I still manage to kick the ball around the garden for the dogs. This used to be Doggo’s forte and still is but he’s had enough after twenty minutes or so these days. MD though has becoming as ball obsessed as Doggo is but of course he can take it for hours. Good job I’ve not got a bad leg...

No comments:

Post a Comment