Saturday, November 21, 2009

Deep Dark Secrets

After quite a long and debaucherous lie-in this morning, L heads off to cycle train in the gym followed by the cinema, to see something cranky and cartoonish. Leaving me to train MD in the garden before taking both boys out onto the park.

With the boys knackered and attempting to dry themselves off on the upholstery, or Daughter’s new coat that she’s thoughtfully left out for them, I attempt a gentle run. Sort of a late fitness test for tomorrow’s race. The physio said to run at 50%. which surely must be walking pace? Anyhow I try a gentle jog, which seems ok for a while. Then something tightens up. However I’m not sure if this is one of the many leg muscles that always tightens up or whether it’s related to my recent injury. I walk a bit. Seems ok. So I jog a bit. Hmmm, tight again, I walk. Seems ok. I jog again. Oh. That’s not good. Things that shouldn’t twang are starting to twang, so I walk home to tender my resignation from tomorrow’s race.

Inspired by the lad at Daughter’s GCSE Presentation evening, I decide to check out Mumford And Sons ‘Sign No More’. To be fair, L had already recommended it to me. Well she said it was very ‘slit your wrists’ / more depressing than the Editors. E.g. totally my scene. I’d loaded it up on my ipod but hadn’t got around to listening to it yet. Now after finally giving it a whirl, I’m impressed. It’s rather good.



However unlike with L, it’s not the banjo that does it for me. In fact, I’d say it’s a little over banjo-ed to be honest but it’s good that we like different things about it.

Then L hits me with one of those revelations that you just don’t see coming. All these years we’ve been together and she’d been hiding a deep dark secret from me. Apparently as an eight-year-old she harboured an ambition to play the banjo. OMG. She’s kept this bottled up for the last 30+ years. I might need counselling. The worrying thing is, it’s never too late... and she even suggests she could dump her bedtime reading and take up late night banjo playing in bed instead... but the dogs would never stand for that.

In our quest to support all the areas under pressure establishments we’re back at Scruffys tonight. It’s good to see it busier as well. The food is good and we also have a long and debaucherous night on the Hobgoblin.

No comments:

Post a Comment