Friday, November 13, 2009

Quite Sane By Comparison

L doesn't seem that keen about our weekend away but I'm sure the severe weather warnings of torrential rain and gales have nothing to do with it. That's all down south though and we’re heading up to the Lake District straight after work. The Lakes does what the Lakes does. It doesn't obey normal weather patterns. By the way we're camping.

L gets in touch mid afternoon to tell me she’s bought some mulled wine and a packet of dark chocolate coated ginger biscuits for the weekend. That’s the spirit. It sounds like she's getting into the swing of things.

Doggo will be gutted, ginger biscuits are his favourite but he won’t be getting any chocolate coated ones. Someone’s going to have to bite all the chocolate off for him. It'll give L something to do on the M6.

As we’re heading up the M6 it occurs to me that driving up a rain washed motorway is more exciting that a boring dry one which can get a bit dull if you’re doing mile after mile of it. I don’t think L agrees. Well she might if she opened her eyes.

I daren’t mention that it’s also Friday the 13th...

Once in the Lakes, our destination, the Langdale valley is awash with water, which is impressive even by Lakeland’s high standards. Still there's enough high ground available in the campsite still. Which is surprisingly busy, well perhaps not surprisingly, there are plenty of people madder than us. In fact up here we seem quite sane by comparison. Perhaps this is why I like it up here.

Another reason I like it up here is bar at The Old Dungeon Ghyll. With our accommodation quickly erected we walk over there and I immediately discover that walking is not so easy with my damaged calf in walking boots. I have to leave them only half done up, so it’s not looking good for hitting the hills tomorrow.

The beer also isn’t so good in The Old Dungeon Ghyll, so we don't actually drink that much. Never mind saves more units for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment