Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Baton Is Passed

Having conceded defeat in my quest to run today’s Parkinson's Disease Society's 40th Anniversary 10K race at Holme Pierrepont, there just remains the question of who, if anyone, uses my number. I did offer it protégé but he declined, claiming a lack of race fitness and the fact that he couldn’t possibly run around Holme Pierrepont without hurling himself into the Trent, a la Survival of the Fittest.

L, reluctantly, takes up the baton... my number, the timing chip and the not pink but it might as well have been free t-shirt. She’s a trooper or in this case, in view of the weather, perhaps a storm-trooper.

She’s already declared that she hates the course (in fact any course involving Holme Pierrepont) and hates two lap races. So just to add to her enjoyment the day dawns windy and wet, very wet.



Despite this she does a good time and it therefore no disgrace to my name which will still appear on the official results. I even get name checked by the commentator as I (she) crosses the finish line. L doesn’t run over and deck him for not noticing that she’s a girl! I’m sure he was just too busy reading out all those names.

We head back home where assorted teenagers have been coming and going at strange hours, all last night and most of this morning but the house now seems peaceful and back to something approaching normality, whatever that is.

There had been the chance of some outdoor training for MD this afternoon but it’s no surprise when news comes through that the paddy fields of South Derbyshire are not going to be conducive to good training today. Neither, for that matter, is our garden. Although MD would be up for it because he doesn’t seem at all put off by a drop of the wet stuff. Doggo’s a different matter, he would simply stand and watch from the sanctuary of the dry doorway. MD though (and I) would bring that much mud into the house it’s probably not a good idea.

Despite now being officially injured I still enter a race today. It isn’t until March, so with luck, I may be fit by then. The Sticky Toffee Trail Run in the Lakes. I’m a bit gutted this means that I can’t do the new Dambuster Duathlon as the events clash but given the choice something with Sticky Toffee in the name probably wins.

L has decided has decided on a slightly different ‘flavour’ one to me. The Challenge run, the same course but with an extra hour to complete it, for the less serious competitors. Thing is, can I close an hours gap over 18km and catch her up? Probably not. Certainly not if I've still only got one good leg by then.

conceded defeat, Parkinson's Disease Society, Holme Pierrepont, protégé, race fitness, Survival of the Fittest, timing chip, trooper, stormtrooper, paddy fields, South Derbyshire, Sticky Toffee

No comments:

Post a Comment