Sunday, November 08, 2009

Now I’m One Of Them

It’s a bit of a low key weekend really. MD was supposed to be making his competition debut this weekend at a small scale local event but I left my entry too later and didn’t get in. Probably for the best, gives me more time to work on him. Which I do this morning before taking them both around the park again.

Despite my injury I join L at the gym and do 15k on the exercise bike. Which isn’t anywhere near as dull as I feared it would be.

At first L takes the bike next to me, which is brave of her considering she’s previously been told off by the gym instructor for slow cadence when she reckoned she was peddling her socks off. She's safe. I won’t show her up because I start slowly out of injured necessity. Then after I while, I up my revolutions. I can’t put the thing in a ‘hard’ setting in case I sheer off completely whatever I’ve torn in my leg. So I slap it in ‘high street mountain bike’ mode (you know stupidly low gear, intended only for assents of Ben Nevis and then spin your legs like bees wings and go nowhere fast).

L has long since moved on to another piece of equipment as I go through 80 revs, 90 revs, then 100. Beside me another girl has taken L’s place. She’s selected ‘pootling down to the shops’ mode on her exercise bike and is trying hard not to let the wind mess up her hair. L has nothing to worry about in the cadence department compared with her. Then she gets off after two minutes, clearly wrecked.

Then to warm down I go for a walk on the treadmill. I sneer at people who walk on treadmills. I mean why not just go for walk around your local park? Now I’m one of them. How embarrassing. The same girl is there too, obviously having left her bike at the shops, she's decided to walk back, windowing shopping as she goes. I shouldn’t be so cutting really, at least she’s doing something.

We shouldn’t really be consuming any more alcohol this weekend but our local pub has been running a beer festival all weekend but we haven’t been in, due to having other things on. We really ought to go in and support it. Otherwise they might not run another one. It’s a tough life. As I said yesterday this ‘supporting’ business isn’t good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment