Sunday, June 14, 2009

Time To Retire

I’m not looking forward to this. The Long Eaton 5 miler, last year I ran 32.15. On Wednesday I was 90 seconds slower over the same distance and it nearly destroyed me. Can’t see there being any improvement today.

L runs there, which is seven miles. So that’s quite impressive in itself. I warm up by throwing balls for the dogs and glaring at everyone who I think will beat me.



I start the race with what I think is a steadier pace than Wednesday but at the mile marker, with my protégée alongside me, we clock 5.55, and he had the nerve to say I started too fast on Wednesday. This is the same suicidal pace that caused me to set 32.15 last year. I have no such lofty illusions this year or the stamina to do so. Protégée deserts me at two miles and that’s the end of that. I finish 15 seconds slower that I did on Wednesday. Protégée edges under 33 minutes. Time to retire perhaps and make way for the youngsters.

At least they have the free Marston’s Pedigree on again and L buys me some cakes as a pick me up. Then we drown my sorrows in the Navigation. That’s the pub, not the canal. Although it’s tempting. Perhaps if I look particularly wounded and desperate L might offer me some TLC this afternoon.

The rest of the afternoon is spent chilling in the garden where, in a slight reversal of earlier, the dogs throw balls at me. In an attempt to persuade me to throw them back, they have no sympathy for tired (and old) limbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment