Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Time To Think Up Excuses

I run into work from my parents' house which is around 9k and the wind was against me all the way. So I’m knackered after that and I’ve only ran about a third of a Kilomathon or whatever that new race is called. The Kilomathon is the world's first-ever 26.2 kilometre race, not that that means much, it’s just that no one had thought of running such a daft and meaningless distance before. If that was all there was to it, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. However as it is a run starting in Nottingham and ending in Derby, e.g. my compute, it has taken on ‘must do’ status. Not that I’ve ever raced over such a distance before. Thankfully it’s not until March, so I have plenty of time to train or to think up some good excuses.

Entries have just opened and they reckon they’re expecting around 7,000 people to sign up for it. L is keen, in fact she’s far keener than me. She’s has already been nagging me to enter. I can see she’s itching to be the first entry and have that number 1 on her chest.

Today she’s been out on her bike. So perhaps she’s serious about the ‘Circuit Of The Cotswolds’ too. Come to think of it, she was asking me about cadence the other day... it's a slippery slope.

After work I run the same distance back to my parents' place. Totally wrecked now and still only two-thirds of a way to a Kilomathon.

At the match, Derby switch from the boring defensive 4-5-1 of their last game to an exciting attacking formation of 4-4-1-1... I’m all excited now. No, not really.

It's a more determined performance from Derby but with the same result. Nigel Clough keeps saying we keep throwing these games away by shooting ourselves in the foot but he obviously hasn’t been watching closely enough. This team aren’t capable of shooting themselves in the foot, they’d miss.

I should have played squash as normal but then the result would have been the same in that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment