Thursday, September 17, 2009

Impending Doom

I drive out through Wollaton this morning and the main entrance to the park is locked causing confusion for people on their way to work and for dog walkers. They’re closed for ‘refurbishment’. This is code for the annual deer cull that always happens in September. They had a lot of protesters one year and now have to pretend their 'refurbishing'. Amazingly this actually fools the animal rights people.

So you thought your internet connection was slow did you? In South Africa it’s faster to send your data by carrier pigeon. An IT company in Durban attempted to prove this by pitting Winston the pigeon, armed with a 4GB memory stick, against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm. Winston took two hours to carry the data 60 miles, in which time the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data. Not sure that would be terribly practical here in Derby but I might mention it next time we come to an internet standstill.



Daughter has an interview today and she heads off for it in fluffy boots and a low cut t-shirt. If she gets interviewed by a man with a fantasy, she'll be in, for the job that is.

Later on my way back from training I almost flatten a cyclist. Bloody cyclists. I was on the busy A6 and turning right at a junction. I was in the filter lane, indicating right and there was no traffic coming. Then when I was half way across, I had to suddenly slam on the brakes as my headlights picked out a cyclist. It was pitch black, yet here was a lad on a MTB, no lights, no helmet, no reflective clothing, headphones on, assuming I’d seen him. If I’d have been there on a bike with no lights, not that I would, I would have stopped and let the car pass but he just pedalled across oblivious to his impending doom. He was a very lucky chap; a lot of motorists wouldn’t even have slowed down for that junction, lucky for him I did.

1 comment:

  1. I get very annoyed with people on bikes with no lights; I would go as far as generalising that they are usually the less observant/careful cyclists too.

    (I feel like a commenter on a newspaper website, getting all ranty - sorry!)

    ReplyDelete