Monday, August 10, 2009

The Loudest Bands

Back at work and back on the bike. I ride in bathed in sunshine; I almost have to stop to dig my shades out of my bag. Then ten minutes from work it rains, typical.

It continues to rain for pretty much all of the day. L reckons it could be precipitation from the little black cloud that always follows her around after a holiday. Although this time she doesn’t sound as depressed as usual to be back at work, either that or she’s hiding it well.

I think MD's glad to be back on his own patch. After pretty much a cat-free week he’s got a lot of catching up to do.

While on holiday I read an interesting article about the loudest bands. Most were metal bands from the 70’s and 80’s but the article was centred around My Bloody Valentine who were certainly loud and still are apparently. They are on a comeback. Who isn't these days?



So this got me thinking what the loudest bands I’ve seen were. The current crop of bands just don’t seem to be as loud as ones from my youth or perhaps I just don’t stand so close to the front any more and I’m not really in to bands such as Korn, Slipknot, System Of A Down etc, all of which I imagine would be fairly loud.

I‘ve seen My Bloody Valentine and yes they were loud but I also recall being deafened by among others Sonic Youth, Zodiac Mindwarp, Jesus And Mary Chain and particularly by a lesser known band called the Hunters Club. I reckon though the loudest band I ever saw must have been the Ramones, who shattered my hearing on more than one occasion.



The weather is still incredibly wet by the time I cycle home and I squelch my way home. The kitchen is in the sort of state we expected it to be in when we got back from holiday, showing that it’s assumed that house will get back its self-cleaning properties now that the house fairies are back from holiday or... perhaps we had the cause of most of the day to day mess on holiday with us...

Then suddenly the rain stops and its fine for an evening’s amble on the park with the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment