Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Ghost Of Sainsbury’s

Two ludicrous decisions inside the first two weeks of the new football season. So nothing new there then. Both involved Norwich City. First they bizarrely sack Bryan Gunn a few days after winning 4-0 away from home in the League Cup, citing results... 4-0 away from home, not bad that guys. Ok so they lost their first league match 7-1 at home and Gunn wasn't exactly popular last season but give the manager credit for turning things around so quickly. Norwich's new chief executive David McNally had other plans though, he didn’t appoint Gunn but if he didn't want the man in charge, perhaps he should have said something when he took over. Not now after a summer of new signings and just two weeks before the transfer window closes.



Instead he’s turned to Paul Lambert, a man he knows from his Celtic days, who started the season as manager of Colchester United, the team who put those seven goals past Norwich on the opening day. You couldn't make it up. Seems there's no loyalty or common sense from Lambert either.

Every football fan will now be hoping for another miserable season for Norwich and a prosperous one for Colchester.

I had problems again today with the ghost at Sainsbury’s. Yet another item has disappeared between being put in my trolley and being packed at the checkout. Today I lost my bananas, no witty comments please. Something always seems to go missing! but it’s probably just me.

It’s good to be back, playing squash that is. I take it steady and feel my way back in, trying to remember what shots work best against my opponent. It takes a while to get going but I feel I make a good account of myself in defeat. It’s particularly good to win the last of our series of games, as that sends him home depressed. I figure next week I’ll be in really good shape to give him an even closer match. Then he tells me its tennis next week... oh no, not again.

After a quick spot of refreshment I head home, where there’s no one in except two very excitable dogs and L leaning seductively against the hall wall. She probably wasn’t trying to look seductive, she either just effortlessly manages it or it had something to do with the testosterone fuelling effect that sport has and possibly the pint and a half of refreshment afterwards. Although tired limbs don't make for good spontaneity, you have to take your chances when you have teenagers.

We have another Gold medal at the World Championships. Phillips Idowu clinches the triple jump, producing a lifetime best when he needed it most. He doesn’t get quite as many front pages as Jess Ennis, probably because he’s not a girl, which is shame because his facial jewellery and colourful hair deserves a wider audience.

2 comments:

  1. Yes the Gunn thing was a bit odd wasn't it?? If they were going to sack him they shoulda done so on the Sunday, straight adfter the Col U game... not wait until he'd had a mid-week win!! I know 7 is a drubbing in anyones boo, but to sak a manager 1 game into the season is a bit mad.

    Afraid it'll be every football fan except me who'll be wishing Col U a prosperous season!! As a Southend Utd fan I couldn't possibly change my ways now!!

    Cheers

    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully understand. Bitter local rivals are always exempt from any sympathy whatsoever.

    As a Derby fan living in Nottingham, I can wish nothing but bad luck on Forest and they got Billy Davies so it must be working.

    ReplyDelete