Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just Looking

I’m thoroughly sick of summer. Can we please now skip the rest of it and go straight to autumn and winter. For a start, it rains less in the autumn and winter, and when it does you can put on waterproofs without feeling like you've been strapped into a microwave oven, like you do in these warmer 'summer' months. Yep you guessed it; I didn't get to bike in today. Too wet. Plus all my kit was still damp from Monday. So no, I couldn't face it.

Of course once I had decided to get the bus, the rain stopped and not a single drop of rain fell on my head all journey. The roads would still have unpleasantly wet for cycling though.

It was recently reported that the average man will spends forty-three minutes each day staring at ten different women. Who did they ask? There are at least ten women on the Red Arrow this morning and it takes me less than a minute to do a quick assessment with the conclusion that I’d be better off reading my newspaper. Ten seems very low, I’ve got the walk to Pride Park to do yet, then there’s the return journey home and I might go to the swimming pool after work. Ten? Nah.

Hope L doesn’t mind that little confession but women are no different, but as we know pickier, checking out just six men for around twenty minutes a day. Wouldn’t it be a concern if people didn’t have an active appreciation of each other?

For men, that adds up to eleven days each year, which just between the ages of 18 and 50 adds up to a whole year. The researcher puts it that ‘a year of their life is a long time to spend with their eyes fixed on the opposite sex’. Really? I would hope to spend longer than that just gazing at L before filling the gaps looking at anyone else. Good job they didn’t include stats for the under 18’s. I recall that was a very fruitful period on the ‘just looking’ front.

I opt out of swimming. Don’t want to distort the stats and the pool is too far to walk from the bus stop, particularly as I seem to have got my hobble back. It's also sunny, so I cut the lawn because I need to dig MD’s weave poles out of the long grass. I will swim tomorrow when I'm back on two wheels, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment