Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dog Relay

L is up at 5.30am. Wow. Then she goes out running, doing a dog relay of 20 minutes with Doggo followed by a similar distance with MD. I have to hold the whimpering paw of the distressed puppy as he is dumped by his mistress whilst she is out with Doggo. Then, after she’s done MD, she heads off to swim 56 lengths.

I bus and run to work, feeling outdone before I even start. It was also a bit of a hobble, at least at first but I think that was more to do with tired legs than my dodgy ankle, which seems ok. So I should be ok for Sunday’s race, not that I've received my race number yet. The Post Office have probably delivered it somewhere else again.

L tells me about her ‘cranky breakfast’. Which means it was something like Marmite smeared on Weetabix. I’ve probably given her ideas there because she confesses that its pitta bread with one inside spread with peanut butter and the other with jam, and chopped banana in the middle. I was close. Perhaps she’s pregnant?

‘More than likely’ L replies. Eh? Oh hang on, that was a reply to ‘the Post Office have probably mis-delivered my race number’ rant.

Whew. Oh well, we’ll just have to keep trying, unsuccessfully.

I've never been much of a Lance Armstrong fan but he seems to be a bit of a changed man since his retirement. Now back racing he appeared chatty and even humorous at this year’s Tour De France. Yesterday he turned up in Paisley and invited everyone for an impromptu bike ride via a Twitter post. How cool is that?



In the end around 300 people turned up including the Flying Scotsman, Scottish cycling legend Graeme Obree. Armstrong took them all for a 90 minute ride. I wonder at whose pace that was at? And how many managed to keep up.

In the evening we have a bit of a competition at our company’s corporate clay pigeon shoot. I was rather unfairly volunteered to go first and I thought I did rather well to hit 7 out of 10 on the first range but then I was outshone by people who got 9’s and 10’s. Not being of a competitive nature this didn’t matter a jot but then as we moved on through five different ranges I gradually got better as the uncompetitive nature of the event clearly got to the others. I took the lead by two shots after a perfect 10 on the fourth target and we moved on to the final range. The shooting order was reversed on this last one, so that the leader shot last. Just to increase the pressure. The guy in second didn’t do so well meaning I only needed to hit four out of ten to win. I missed the first two. Oh dear. But I came through in the end to claim victory... but as I’ve said, I’m not really very competitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment