Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Heavy Dose Of Nottingham Mist

Friday evening/Saturday morning’s party had moved on, with only a short break for sleep, to nearby Hucknall last night, where somebody else’s garden path will presumably got mural-ised. So we are afforded a long and pleasant lie-in which wasn’t really an option yesterday.

Son returned from this second bash quite early, looking relatively fresh and with both eyebrows still attached to his face.

After I acceded to the ‘demanded’ park session, L goes off running whilst I get out my new bike to put in a training ride ahead of next Sunday’s 90 miler. I was hesitant because the weather looked very dubious but L persuaded me. ‘Thanks Dear’ I mouthed under by breath, as I batted against a headwind that was loaded up with a heavy dose of Nottingham Mist. So it’s not as pleasant as it should have been but it’s still enjoyable. I have to say that. No really it was... although I do get my new bike wet and I have to lovingly towel it down later. I do forty miles although I had planned fifty but I figure the headwind and the rain made it feel like fifty, so I’m counting it as such.

Daughter is out, so the TV is up for grabs and we catch the final night of the Reading Festival. I feel I may be in the minority for thinking this but I thought the BBC’s coverage was awful, because I know a lot of people liked their Glastonbury coverage which was only marginally better.

Yes they deserve credit for showing these festivals but picking out just a handful of songs from each artist and then putting them on a repeating loop on their interactive service soon makes for boring viewing. They even put exactly the same loop on their two Freeview interactive channels but ten minutes apart. Where’s the sense in that? Whilst their BBC3 coverage is more chat that music. I don’t know what they spent on coverage but for Glastonbury they sent over 400 staff at a cost of around £1.5M. When all I want to see, at least on the interactive, is a camera trained on the main stage broadcasting it live without any interruptions, repeat this for a couple of the lesser stages on different channels and it would be almost as good as being there. Then repeat the whole thing in the week after, so that you can pick up anything you missed. Simple and cheap. Their internet service is rather good though, for content; like all the BBC sites it’s a nightmare to find what you’re looking for but it’s there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment