Monday, March 09, 2009

The Venn Diagram Principle

We go round the pond again this morning but MD hasn’t quite got the hang of all this running yet and keeps biting my feet. I’m not sure if this is a sign that he’s tired, hungry or whether he just likes being a pain. L reckons he just doesn’t know what's expected of him when we run and he'll get used to it. The 15 miles of the Charnwood Marathon that we have planned for him should sort him out then.

It’s pretty weird at Sainsbury’s when I go there at lunch. Their refrigerated section has broken down and they’d got all their staff pulling everything off the shelves, presumably to put it in cold storage somewhere. Meanwhile you’ve got customers like me trying to grab the stuff they need before it disappears. I had a bit of a fight with another chap over some chicken fillets but he had to back down in the end.

L’s now swimming every morning because she’s entered a 2.5km Swimathon as well as the Windermere swim. Unfortunately she’s not training in anything like race conditions because she keeps getting a lane to herself. She needs to start practising with six to a lane because I’m sure that’s what the Swimathon will be like. She’ll have to join me at the madness that is the Wednesday night lane swim.

I’m an occasional reader of 'private secret diary' which is a blog by a chap who works from home at his cottage in Norfolk and occasionally goes a bit crazy with just the rabbits to talk to.

Anyhow, the other week he was on about how couples work on the ‘Venn diagram’ principle when it comes to music. In that, when you're in a relationship you have to have at least a small overlap in musical tastes. Although, I suppose this applies to all the other things in life as well and not just music.

Well he and his partner, LTLP, which stands for ‘Long Term Life Partner’, don’t seem to have a very big overlapping bit in the middle of their Venn Diagram. What there is, he says is basically the Proclaimers and the free CDs off the front of the Observer. Oh dear. Thankfully L, which I suppose, by the same analogy must be an acronym simply for 'Life’, and I do quite well.

She may not have enjoyed the ‘Gaslight Anthem’ as much as I did, but we’re usually both up for anything musically. We have a couple of gigs planned next week and she seems more than willing to join me for my choice of the ‘Red Light Company’ on Monday, as am I to join her for her selection of the ‘Doves’ on Tuesday.

When we first met we discovered we had a lot of the same CDs and now we have a lot of duplicates on our shelves. Of course, this will come in very useful if we ever split, as a lot of the CDs are soundtracks to classic moments in our life together.

In fact, some of our most passionate moments have been sound tracked. So if they ever make the film of our lives, avert your eyes when you hear tracks from REM’s ‘Monster’ or Catatonia’s ‘Way Beyond Blue’.

Dog class this evening for Doggo. I again take MD but again fail to get him calm enough to do any training with him. Doggo does alright though.

No comments:

Post a Comment