Saturday, March 28, 2009

Too Many Layers

This morning it's L and I, two dogs, fifteen miles and a lot of cakes. It's the Charnwood Marathon. Well it would have been had we done the full 26 mile route but we opt for the more sensible shorter route. This is necessary for a young pup and the ageing Doggo. Of course L and I could have done the full Monty, no problem. What's that Dear? I'd be on my own... perhaps not then.

My father turns up for the start, anything to get a photo of the dogs, and then impressively reappears several times around the route which takes us through other villages, across countryside, through a couple of country parks and over some serious hills via two checkpoints where, did I mention, you get cake.

Early on I have my doubts about whether my troops are up to it. Doggo looks like he's struggling after the first few miles but the old git seems to get better as we go along, coincidentally picking up after the first cake stop. It's even nice weather for it, although it starts off cold and I opt for too many layers. L would say there's no such thing as too many layers but that's a girl thing. It soon warms up and even the rain has the decency not to bucket down until after we've finished and tucking into hot soup and even more cake.

Then it's back home for a hot bath and a chance to compare aches and pains. I'm sure we brought two dogs home with us but neither can be summoned during the afternoon. A job of dog exercising well done.

Daughter turns up late afternoon, in time to be dropped off in town. Talking of this girl thing of too many layers, it's odd to see someone, who watches TV wearing a heavy fleece and/or her dressing gown with her duvet over herself in front of the gas fire with the central heating already on, go out in 5-degree weather in just a t-shirt. Suppose it's cool, literally.

L and I have a few beers in town with L's brother before we meet up again with Daughter and Son for a late night curry. They both arrive from home on separate buses; that's brotherly/sisterly love for you. Whether late night curries are a good habit to get them into, I don't know but it's good to get everybody together.

No comments:

Post a Comment