Friday, July 24, 2009

Quality Not Quantity

I drive in because I’ve got the afternoon off to help set-up my club’s dog agility show which is on over the weekend. L promises not to tell the dogs where I've gone without them. They wouldn’t be happy if they found out but they’ll be there with me for the rest of the weekend.

The morning is glorious but as soon as I arrive at the show it starts to rain. Someone’s annoying fifteen year old son has been left managing the front gate, checking passes as people arrive to camp for the weekend. I think he was despatched there, basically to get him out from under everybody’s feet but now he is radioing in that he wants to desert his post because he is getting soaked. Obviously being a teenager he only has a t-shirt on and hasn’t brought a coat or anything like that but nobody seems in a great rush to relieve him or even to send him out an umbrella, thinking that another ten minutes in the rain would do him good. In the end, I go out to relieve him, I can sit in the car if the rain is really bad and checking passes is a fairly easy way of spending the afternoon.

It would have been nice to have got down to Nottingham Beach this weekend, particularly in the evening, just to see what the drunks make of it, I imagine there’s going to be a lot of people vying to be first to have sex on the beach, but we’ve got a hectic schedule and we’re in Derby tonight. Its L’s Father's birthday and we take him for a posh meal out.

We last went there about a year or so ago and I think I mistakenly order exactly the same dish again. It was very good; excellent in fact, the mistake was it was also very small, unlike everyone else’s. Quality not quantity I tell myself but I have a habit of doing this and it's slightly annoying. The cheese and biscuits made up for it, particularly when the waitress overhears me slagging off Brie, I’m not keen on soft French cheeses, and replaced it with a Gorgonzola.

Win number five for Cav and it’s a real surprise because his win came on quite a mountainous stage which is not his sort of terrain. His team kept him near to the front of the peloton all the way up to the summit of the climb and once over the top, he did the business despite there still being an uphill finish to negotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment