Sunday, July 12, 2009

Crystal Clear

After an extended lie in, I resist the temptation of the 10k out Newark way, it doesn’t really take much resisting and I had assumed I’d be too hung over from last night’s Beer Festival anyway but due to the fact that we spent most of the night hunting down beer rather than drinking it the old head is crystal clear.

When we finally get up I train MD in the garden. His weaves are really coming on great. I’m sure his jumping would be too if I could train him properly on the course I’ve set up. Problem is someone has sabotaged it by digging great holes all over it... MD himself. Does he really want to learn I ask myself? And then there’s Doggo repeatedly getting in our way and throwing his ball under my feet. What with him, his ball and all the holes, it’s a wonder I haven’t broken an ankle.

In the end I have to put Doggo inside the house which means he looks crestfallen and his bottom lip is dragging on the floor, so then I have to make it up to him.

Both dogs are now creased and I have to postpone our park session for half an hour so, so that they can recover. Then it’s a rush because I want to get back for the live Tour coverage at 2pm.

It’s been a relatively quite week in Le Tour, the organisers have scheduled a relatively easy three days in the Pyrenees and apart from a brief attack by Spaniard Alberto Contador, the race favourite, basically just to wind up his team mate and seven times winner Lance Armstrong but boy did it work.

Armstrong admitted later that there was ‘tension’ between the duo but Contador disagreed, judging from the interview Armstrong gave the tension is clearly in Armstrong’s jaw as he tries to say much by saying little. Wonderful to watch. Armstrong’s displeased face has been the highlight of the race so far.

Consequently I’ve been a bit worried about Contador’s safety, Armstrong doesn’t like anyone getting the better of him and I was glued to the TV coverage today because I thoroughly expected to see Contador disappearing head over heels off the edge of the Col du Tourmalet during the descent with a smiling Armstrong giving him a cheery wave as he bounced all the way down to the valley floor. Sensibly Contador appeared to opt to keep a team mate between him and Armstrong all day long. Very wise. This one's going to run and run. Meanwhile little known Italian Rinaldo Nocentini keeps the yellow jersey warm.

On the British front, even more impressive than two stage winner Mark Cavendish has been the admirable Bradley Wiggins who has stayed with the race favourites all week and is currently fifth overall. Can he stay up there for the whole race, it's going to be fascinating to see.

When the tour coverage was over, I switched across to the cricket and some superb negative play by England meant they survived the first Ashes Test and got a draw. Unfortunately it was the only thing they did well over the five days.

Then I go out for a run. Inspired after a good result last week which was on tired legs, I feel I ought to train a bit more. L reckons I’d be deadly if I trained. Usually I my races are my training, for the next race.

The run goes well, I do at least 10k. I’ve never gotten around to calibrating my Nike+ device, I just know it reads short and it says 10k, so it’s probably nearer 11k. I’m knackered now.

No comments:

Post a Comment