Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chipped The Right Way Up

The Red Arrow is my chosen method of travel today. 'Chosen' not being the right word, without my bike these decisions are being almost thrust up on me. I have my running kit with but instead of running to work, I plan to run home instead. As it's raining when I catch the bus, it's not a bad call. Whilst L, the hardened cyclist, is on her bike again.

Derby may have pushed Manchester United close (ish) in their Semi-final on Tuesday but Burnley came even closer to beating Tottenham last night.

Just what is the situation with the away goals rule? Burnley were
4-1 down from the first leg but were 3-0 up on the night at full time and had the away goals rule been applied, as it is in European games, they would have been through. However, in the League Cup, away goals only count after extra-time, during which Burnley conceded two late goals.

I really can’t keep up, I know they've abolished the away goals rule completely in the two-legged play off semi-finals (no idea why) and now a friend of mine is asking if they count in the prestigious Johnsons Paints Trophy semi-final, where his team, Scunthorpe, are 2-0 up after the first leg. Probably they do, but when, who knows, perhaps only if the scores are level after penalties...

As 5pm approaches, the weather seems to be brewing up a storm, out of spite. It obviously has it in for both of us, L on her bike and me running.

I run the 2.5km to Chaddesden, with my gadget working beautiful now that I'm chipped the right way up. Then I get a rather crowded and very late R4 as far as Stapleford before running the remaining distance home, which turns out to be a further 7.5km. So a rather convenient 10k run. As I stop my Ipod and put my key in the front door, Lance Armstrong leaps out of my iPod to tell me that 'I've burnt some serious calories there'. I'm a tad shocked to hear Lance, to say the least, and especially with his obsession with calories. What about the time Lance? Don't you think that was rather good too? and just who else is lurking with you inside my Ipod? I'm a touch worried about using it now, who will pop up to offer congratulations or possibly even abuse next?

We have a meeting for Daughter's ski trip tonight where we're expecting the red carpet treatment and lots of grovelling as the school have increased the price by 10%. Yep, it's that tired old 'credit crunch' excuse again. So it's very disappointing not even to get offered the coffee and biscuits that they served us at the last meeting. I suppose they'd say they have to cut back; it's the credit crunch you know...

I walk the dogs back from the meeting, doing heelwork all the way. MD is rather good at this. It was never this easy with Doggo.

No comments:

Post a Comment