Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Making Plans For Nigel

My alarm goes off at 5.15am and I start the long journey down to the other end of the world, thankfully I'm not driving. The M11 is shut which nicely takes the journey over five hours.

We arrive hoping to salvage a project from which one of the three main protagonists has just 'left by mutual consent', to coin a football phrase. Which probably means he's been sacked but we're not sure. Another member of the team kicks off the meeting by telling us that he resigned yesterday... terrific, and then there was one. Don't you just love office politics. At least the journey back only took three hours but I still don't get home until 8pm.

I don't really understand it but a majority of the Derby supporters seem to have been getting all excited at the prospect of a former Forest stalwart becoming Derby's next manager. Personally, I thought this was a very distant prospect. Well, the big news today is that it's been confirmed that indeed they have given the job to Nigel Clough. I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure it'll end in tears.

I just don't think he has the experience for the job, having only managed at non-league level and even there, although he's done well, he's only achieved one promotion in ten years, although a second is currently on the cards. That's not the sort of success rate expected by the fickle Derby public. Good luck Nigel, I've a feeling you're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment