Thursday, January 01, 2009

Favourite Gigs Of 2008

The third and final part of my review of 2008. My top ten gigs of the year.

10. Von Bondies, Bodega Social, Saturday 23rd February



A welcome return for the Von Bondies, still full of high powered two-minute guitar romps. Simple but effective.

Read My Review

9. Feeder, Rock City, Monday 27th October



Predictable, painfully safe at times but still one of the best live acts around.

Read My Review

8. The Courteeners, Rock City, Tuesday 14th October



A good night's cavorting with the boys from Manchester.

Read My Review

7. We Are Scientists, Rock City, Saturday 19th April



They win the award for the loudest gig of the year. A bit rough at the edges but I like a bit of rough.

Read My Review

6. Kings Of Leon, Nottingham Ice Stadium, Tuesday 2nd December



The longest gig of the year. Value for money. Great band, great gig, shame about the venue.

Read My Review

5. Mgmt, Rock City, Thursday 6th November



Half of one of the best gigs of the year, just let down by that odd prog rock bit in the middle.

Read My Review

4. British Sea Power, Rescue Rooms, Tuesday 22nd January



Great three-minute pop songs and a lot of larking about. Another close to perfect but not quite gig.

Read My Review

3. Delays, Bodega Social, Saturday 5th April



Lots of 'woo woo' bits and an excellent night crammed into the cosy Bodega Social.

Read My Review

2. Elbow, Rock City, Monday 14th April



An impressive set and a very entertaining night from a band not really on my radar.

Read My Review

1. Glasvegas, The Royal, Wednesday 11th June



The night we believed the hype, although we probably caught them at exactly the right time and at their peak. Extremely impressive from first note until last. Almost every gig this year has been good in its own way but this was the only one that left me feeling totally blown away.

Read My Review

No comments:

Post a Comment