Tuesday, December 15, 2009

All’s Fair In Love And Cycling

The promised freeze and potential snowfall (!) doesn’t materialise and the ride in to work is actually rather pleasant, helped by the fact that there’s not much traffic. As ever winter cycling is a constant battle between being too hot and too cold. If anything today, I’ve too much on and I’m too warm. Some people go too far the other way and I see one guy in just a t-shirt, albeit a long sleeved one. He was very lucky the weather wasn’t as cold as they promised or else he may have lost a nipple or two in the wind chill.

I often get slightly annoyed by a particular cyclist whom I see most days. He’s older than me, well I think he is because he’s got a solid head of grey hair, but he always has to overtake me and then try to disappear into the distance. It’s not too bad getting passed by youngsters but it’s a bit rich when they’re a lot older but all’s fair in love and cycling as they say. What really annoys me is that when he’s ahead of me and doesn’t know I’m there, I catch him up with ease. So it’s obviously just an act for my benefit and presumably other cyclists too. He just doesn’t like being behind someone. Doesn’t apply to me of course.

After work, L takes MD for his final check up at the vets. He’s passed fit and when I get home he's already out running with L. She’s been out with them in shifts; Doggo's already done a fifteen minute stint. MD's stint is much shorter and L returns complaining of all four paws being off the ground all the time. He's yet to get the hang of running on the lead but to be fair we haven't done that much of it with him. We have until the Boxing Day run, which both dogs will compete in, to lick him into shape.

The family is all out together tonight en mass, a rare treat, must be something festive in the air. We meet up with some friends and go for one of those all you can stuff down you face for a tenner Chinese meals and it actually isn’t too bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment