Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Well Lacquered

Protests are abound in Nottingham. City centre shops have been banned from using A-boards on the streets to advertise their premises. The council reckons that the A-boards pose a risk to people who are visually impaired or in a wheelchair. Shouldn’t the council first focus on filling in all the pot holes and fixing all the raised paving slabs and manhole covers that pose a risk to everybody, not just the people who have the misfortune to be disabled. I mean isn’t that what we pay council tax for? Then when they’ve done that, they’ll need to review the often random and/or unnecessary placements of all the other items of street furniture, most of which they’ve put there in the first place, such as benches, bollards, litter bins and even street lights, all of which can cause an obstruction. Whilst they’re at it they’ll need to look at all those outdoor seating areas, stop cars parking on the pavement, possibly remove several sets of steps and perhaps even look at flattening all the curbs. Then perhaps it’ll be time to discuss A-boards.

Apparently shops are also not allowed to use walking sandwich boards, hang signs from buildings or hand leaflets out. So it sounds like there's more to this that meets the eye, sounds a bit like the big shops influencing the council again at the expense of the little guy.

I’m in the car today, so I manage to get to the pool nice and early for a swim. It’s a bit quieter at this time of the evening or perhaps it’s just because the students have now gone home. Horrifically there’s a chap in the lane next to mine who appears to be wearing a pair of flesh coloured Speedos. He succeeds in getting himself noticed, although I'm not sure he’s getting any positive reactions.

I get home and fight my way in through a choking cloud of noxious fumes. OMG. I battle my way in, so that I can rescue the dogs and perhaps even the kids. The fumes sting my eyes and would you believe it the damn smoke alarms aren’t even going off. What a waste of money. Oh, hang on, there’s someone in the bathroom doing their hair, wielding a huge can of hair spray... panic over.

Sorry, couldn't resist and I've not upset Daughter for a while, I thought it was bit overdue.

Its disco night at the Ice Arena, L has been tempted, just for the skating apparently, and goes straight from work to join the much lacquered one and her friend. So I get to watch the cycling at its allotted time rather than in the middle of the night on video. It’s a mixed blessing because both the dogs continually nag me to take them out. I will, honest, I’m taking both dogs training just as soon as the cycling’s over.

No comments:

Post a Comment