Thursday, July 09, 2009

Fear Of Repercussions

Censorship is a terrible thing, as is blackmail, but I suppose we all succumb to it. There is so much that I would blog but I don’t, out of fear of repercussions. Daughter is always uttering the words ‘blog that and you’re dead’ whereas L tells me something tasty and then warns me ‘blog that and I’m dead’. So you can see where the violence lies in our household.

As I drive in, because it’s pub day, I try and finish my audio book, ‘Narrow Dog to Carcassonne’, but no, it’s still going. It’s the true story of two pensioners and their whippet called Jim who set out against all advice to sail in their narrowboat from Staffordshire to the Mediterranean. It was a top ten bestseller but I’m afraid I found it rather long, drawn out and actually rather dull.

The idea of them crossing the Channel in a narrowboat was fascinating and the lead up to it was gripping but once that was achieved early on in the book and without mishap, it was all downhill for the book really. I’ll be glad to get it finished, which will hopefully be tonight.



For my next book I need something a bit more controversial or at least with some death in it. I’m sure L will deliver.

I’ve had my pub lunch but we’ve also got L’s brother coming round for a curry tonight. In between I’ve got MD’s training. L says it ought to be me taking the training to burn off my lunch and make room for my curry. Suppose I could run the course while MD stands and directs from the sidelines. He'd love that, being gobby and all.

On the way to training, I collide with another cyclist. I was in the car. We have a cycle path along the pavement of the Nottingham ring road, which runs across the end of our street and the chap just came tanking along, head down and didn’t even check to see me coming out of the side road. Luckily I saw him at the last moment, stopped and only caught him with the front of my bumper, spilling him onto the tarmac. If I’d been further forward, he would have either gone over my bonnet or been bounced on to the ring road. He was lucky but, if he wanted to do that sort of speed, he really should have been on the road, where he wouldn’t have had to worry about giving way to side roads. Another reason why councils should be concentrating their efforts on on-road cycle paths and not encouraging pavement sharing.

Training goes well, MD does the big boys ‘dog walk’ raised high off the ground and he’s not fazed in the slightest. Somehow I'm not surprised. Our curry night also goes well and L’s delivered already, she's got me a new book. Blimey that was quick and it’s got a murder in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment